08 Mar 7 Ways Bite Abnormalities Hurt Your Child
Jaw alignment issues can cause a range of dilemmas for kids.
- They can hurt!
- They can make it difficult to eat a nutritious diet because they curb proper chewing and swallowing
- They can delay or prevent normal speech development
- They increase the risk of gum disease and tooth decay because oral hygiene is more difficult
- Over time, the child can develop a TMJ condition
- They can cause a distorted facial shape
- Unattractive teeth can cause low self-esteem
Fortunately, there are a variety of effective treatments, including orthodontia.
Bring your child to an orthodontist early!
If you suspect your son or daughter has a bite misalignment, it is especially vital to have them examined as early as possible. By starting early, you can make sure they avoid years of pain and self-consciousness.
If you suspect your child has a bite issue, call Koch Aesthetic Dentistry – The Dental Spa.
Malocclusion (literally “bad bite”) is the term used for all types of bite problems including overbites, underbites, and crossbites.
Let’s talk about the various types of bite abnormalities.
Overbites and underbites
When the lower jaw is smaller than the upper jaw, the abnormality is called an overbite. When the reverse is true, it is called an underbite.
This may sound impossible, but it happens.
Crossbites occur when lower teeth are in the wrong position. They may be incorrectly positioned sideways, forward or backward.
At Koch Aesthetic Dentistry – The Dental Spa, we diagnose bite abnormalities. Dr. J. Paul Koch provides orthodontic expertise to treat children’s bite problems.
Contact Koch Aesthetic Dentistry – The Dental Spa: