In this post from Koch Aesthetic Dentistry in Birmingham, we focus on vital behaviors that influence oral health. Of course, brushing and flossing are two essential habits, but there are many more things we can do to preserve a healthy smile.
- Do eat a nutritious diet with a variety of foods. This is required for overall physical health and a strong immune system.
- Do consume calcium-rich dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt to neutralize acids that are harmful to enamel.
- Don’t eat sugary foods. Sugar results in the production of detrimental cavity-causing acids that weaken enamel and lead to cavities.
- Don’t snack throughout the day. This revs up plaque production and subjects the teeth to continual contact with acids.
- Don’t chew on ice. (It really can break teeth.)
- Don’t drink energy drinks. They have many substances that are detrimental to teeth.
Other Important Tips
- Don’t use your teeth as tools! It is better to cut that knotted shoelace than to gnaw at it to try to untangle it.
- Don’t get piercings in or around your mouth.
- Don’t ignore tooth pain or sensitivity.
- If you have children, communicate with Dr. Koch about water fluoridation. If your municipal water supply is not fluoridated, you may want to give your little ones fluoride supplements.
- Don’t use a medium or hard bristle toothbrush. It can damage gums.
- If you have an eating disorder, seek professional help immediately. Bulimia and anorexia are extremely damaging to teeth. (Not to mention the toll they take on the heart and other organs.)
At Koch Aesthetic Dentistry in Birmingham, we encourage all of our patients to maintain a lifestyle that advances dental health and physical health. Our services include dental implants and headache relief. Call for an appointment today!
Contact Koch Aesthetic Dentistry – The Dental Spa:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):